Monday, March 30, 2009

Overrated Talent: Nickelback

I watched the Junos last night- on and off because I was bored stiff- and I have to say that it left me completely puzzled. Why on earth is Nickelback so popular? They won about 6 Junos for singing revamped arena rock? What the crack?!!!! It would be one thing if the Junos were awarded by fans (which Nickelback inexplicably has oodles and oodles of), but these are awards handed out by members of the recording industry based on artistic merit. So I ask again, HOW IN THE WORLD DID NICKELBACK GET 6 OF THESE AWARDS?!!! The Junos are on a very thin ice in terms of their credibility, but this has officially pushed the award over the edge.

I personally believe that Nickelback is the worst Canadian export since Celine Dion... but at least Celine Dion has talent. This band has done nothing to enhance the Canadian image, but it has done a lot to give credibility to mullet-wearers everywhere. Here are a few reasons why they do not deserve their fame:


  1. Every song this band has ever released as a single sounds exactly the same.
  2. They look like the kind of men who: a) you'd meet at a truck stop on the 401 on your way to Sarnia; b) smell; c)spend their weekends smoking, drinking beer and watching hockey games
  3. They write crap.com lyrics like:

I am so high, I can hear heaven

I am so high, I can hear heaven

Whoa, but heaven, no, heaven don't hear me

Yeah, case closed.

4 comments:

Miyuki Mouse said...

Kim, how many blog posts have you made today??? I am starting to worry whether you are eating properly, etc. ;)

But yes, I agree that Nickleback isn't exactly the best example of Canadian music...

GasbarNut said...

What the heck is wrong with men who drink beer and watch hockey?!

I like men like that. Maybe that's just me.

I dunno. I think they're okay. Not awesome. Not Barenaked Ladies for good exported talent. Not The Hip. But okay.

Anyway, they've got more cash than me, so who am I to judge?

Sonhadora said...

They are not my cup of tea! I have different taste in music.

I find their music too high pitched for my sensitive hears! LOL

Gimped said...

I have a feeling I'm going to be severely beaten for saying this, but I happen to like Nickelback. Would I buy a concert ticket or one of their albums, probably not. But I DO indulge in the occasional download of their singles.

Canadian music has definitely improved over the last ... 10 years or so. That's just a guess; I'm still one of those youngins who only vaguely remembers the success of The Guess Who, who also rock BTW :) We've always had the Celine Dion's, Brian Adams', BNL and Hip'ers of the music world. But we're now breaking into different streams of music that I personally thought I'd never see come out of this country. I am amazed that bands like Simple Plan and Hedley have been successful on Canadian soil, and even more amazed that they're successful across the border.

It's taken a LONG time for Canadian music to be recognized the way it should, both within our own borders and (amazingly) outside of them and for that I'm proud ... even of Nickelback :)