Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Pet Peeve #1: Wearing Open-toe Shoes During Winter

Okay, so I got to work today and shared an elevator with two women discussing Canadians' favourite topic- the weather. Both of them looked like they were dressed appropriately for the crisp March air and appeared to be quite warm, until one of them complained that her feet were cold. I looked down at her feet and low and behold there they were... the open-toe pump! She saw the look written all over her friend’s face and proclaimed proudly, ‘I just couldn’t resist’. I nearly screamed! I have been itching for weeks to discuss this topic but I was too afraid of offending the offenders. Enough is enough! This has been a huge pet peeve of mine for many, many years. Open-toe pumps and/or sandals are summer footwear- no ifs, ands or buts!!! No matter how many times you wear these shoes summer will not, I repeat NOT, hasten its footsteps. Accept the unfortunate geographical location of your residence with pride and dignity and cover up those tender tootsies! If you fit within the following criteria, you should NOT wear the aforementioned pump:

1. You live north of the 42nd parallel between October 15th & April 30th
2. There is little to no visible flora or fauna anywhere for miles
3. It is less than 18˚C, 65˚F
4.You are forced to wear wool, wool/cashmere, goose down, fur or leather due to inclement weather
5. There is snow, slush, sleet or freezing rain either falling from the sky or resting on the ground

Ladies, and maybe even gents, it is not okay to wear open-toe shoes during the height of the winter season. Yes, the new spring collection at Nine West is cute but that doesn’t mean you have to wear your new purchase right now! Wait a few months and then break them out. Don’t suffer frostbite or future rheumatoid arthritis for the sake of fashion- it’s just not worth it.

8 comments:

GasbarNut said...

I too have been on an elevator with a woman who ALL winter wore open-toed shoes. BUT WAIT! She had slides on! TOTAL HEEL REVEAL. All winter. And she was on the Subway. But I am tellin' you, all winter I've seen her. And I've just so wanted to shake my head like an old mother and go TSK.

Sonhadora said...

I agree, but worse than wearing open toe shoes in early Spring, is wearing sandals with socks! A very Canadian thing to do, which is my pet peeve!!! If you need to wear socks you should wear closed shoes, NOT sandals! Please!!

Now that I had my venting session, i feel better!

Gimped said...

So we're breaking out the fashion talk, eh? :) Let me clear my throat here...

While I agree that wearing open-toed shoes in the winter is a bit crazy, there IS an appropriate middle ground. Peep toes have been all the rage for a few years now and, if worn correctly, can definitely be a winter shoe. Most of the shoes I purchased this winter were indeed peep-toe and clearly not for the Spring/Summer months. Greys, blacks, browns, even some shades of red are definitely safe ground for bearing your tooties in the cold winter months. Yellow, green, turquoise or any of the other trendy colours that you're seeing now, definitely not. You'll also notice a difference between how much toe is shown in the winter styles compared to the spring/summer styles. If attempting to wear open-toes in the winter months, less toe = better fashion :)

Another acceptable pre-summer open-toe adventure is the holiday/New Years Eve party. If you're wearing a formal gown, or even a pair of trousers and a nice blouse, the last thing you want on your feet is a clunky pump. A dressy open-toed shoe or sandal is the way to go ... and it MUST have some bling-bling happenin' :)

If you're stupid enough to wear them thru the snow and slush to the trendy New Years Party in December or to the office in January then you need your head examined, and deserve to come down with the frostbite that will inevitably wreak havoc on your toes. Throw 'em in a bag and put them on when you get there for Pete's sake!! Even I do that!!

You don't break out your Spring shoes 'til May 1? Are you crazy?!? Closed-toed shoes can weigh down the light, colourful Spring clothing trends that are definitely okay to be wearing right now. A nice boot? Totally! One that looks like it's been dragged thru 3 inches of slush, salt and dirt? Hells no! Once Spring officially hits I break out the open-toes like crazy but I do pay attention to the weather before dorning them; my thong sandals stay in the closet until warmer weather approaches.

And I am SO on-board with Sonhadora's comment about sandals and socks. That has got to be my BIGGEST pet peeve. The only time you'll see me do that is if I need to run the garbage down to the chute.

Unknown said...

I think that sandals and open toe shoes on women in winter when they have BARE feet is just the sexyest thing ever , it might be a man thing but when i see this it makes me weak at the knees its the sexyest thing a woman can do.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Andrew.

lj said...

I'm about to get married Saturday, and because wearing open toe shoes when it's under 65 degrees is not okay with me, I almost made all the girls get closed toe shoes, even though they had all pretty much purchase cute open toe, per my initial request. I thought it was going to be warm enough. March in Mississippi is usually in the high 60s low 70s. But no...not this weekend. My weekend. But you know what? I agree with gempeg, formal events are exceptions. So...it'll be around 59 degrees this Saturday and my girls are gonna wear open toe shoes in the wedding. I'll just have to deal. lol. ...just a bride dropping off some venting junk before the big day. Thanks! ;)

doc Martens Boots said...

what I can say about these shoes
really outstanding I always love Doc Martens Boots because it really gives me style comfort and new trend

Anonymous said...

Formal events should be an exception - keep in mind that some women are in agony as soon as they step into closed toed pumps. I am speaking from experience - you can go to every single shoe shop that might have comfy shoes but it still kills. Before judging take a step back and think about it - we would all love to be able to sport beautiful closed toed pumps but it just doesn't work for some. It's really frustrating to have to get dressed in a wonderful dress and not be able to way heels because you know you're going to be judged if you don't kill yourself wearing closed toed heels.