Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Underrated Talent: Ojos de Brujo


Ojos de Brujo (The Wizard’s Eyes, in Spanish) is one of my favourite bands in the world! When I was studying in Spain, I kept hearing about this band everywhere I went. My roommates kept telling me to listen to their music. I went to FNAC (a book and music store in Europe) and decided listen to their cd, Techarí. It was like nothing I’d ever heard before. The album changed the way I looked at music in Spain.

Ojos de Brujo is a Flamenkillo (a mixture of flamenco, bhangra, hip hop and reggae) band from Barcelona, Spain. They are a conglomerate of street musicians, graffiti artists, break dancers, rappers, DJs and Flamenco cantantes and dancers. It makes for a most interesting and wonderful mix. Once again they are a very well established and popular band in Western Europe with little to no fan base in North America. In fact, they were the 2004 winners of the BBC Radio 3 World Music Award for Europe. I got so hooked on the band that I saw them in concert twice while I was living in Brussels. BTW, their lead singer Marina la Canilla raps, sings and dresses like no other. She’s off the hook!

Albums released to date:
Vengue, 1999
Barí, 2002
Techarí, 2006
Aocaná, 2009


My Favourite Songs:
Na en la Navera, Tahitá, Quien Engaña No Gana, Color, Sultanas de Merkaillo, Runalí, Bailaores, Feedback, Respira, Todos Mortales

My explanation of this band does not do it justice so just take a listen:

No comments: