Wednesday, April 1, 2009

No, I Don’t Want to See A Picture of Your Dog!

I have never been an animal person. I’ve never owned a pet, nor do I aspire to own one. I don’t think of myself as a person without feelings or compassion- I’m just not an animal person. Not only that, but I don’t really understand animal people. Most animal lovers will lay down their lives to bring awareness to any kind of animal suffering but will show complete indifference to the infinite human suffering taking place all over the world. I find that very strange.

I don’t think most dogs are cute; some are, but most are pretty ugly. I think that squirrels, chipmunks, gofers, beavers, skunks, hamsters, gerbils, rabbits and raccoons are all different names and/or aliases for rats; cats are sneaky; birds are pretty to look at, but not to take care of and reptiles all belong in their natural habitat, not the water-filled tank in your kitchen. When I tell people this, they tend to look at me like I just told them I had lunch with Adolf Hitler. I get the ‘you didn’t really have a childhood if you didn’t have a pet’ or ‘you don’t know what you’re missing’. Well, actually I had a great childhood and I do know what I’m missing. There’s nothing attractive about being the dreaded Cat Lady or having a dog that just licked it’s behind turn around and lick your face. Nor is it cool to have your house smelling like the Metro Zoo. Nevertheless, I don’t hate animals. I don’t support cruelty directed toward animals, nor do I subscribe to their exploitation. I’m just not into them- just like I’m not into liver and lima beans or extreme sports.

So, no, I don’t want to see a picture of your dog/cat/rat/pig. And no, I don’t care whether or not he caught a ball/Frisbee last weekend. I am not interested in petting your rabbit and I don’t feel like feeding your turtle. Oh and by the way, your puppy-wuppy looks ridiculous in that pink bonnet. No offense.

3 comments:

GasbarNut said...

YOU my girl, are a HOT MESS! Especially when the animal lovers among us get hold of this post!

Some of those peeps not having babies? They are keeping a dog around for life. So tread carefully.

What I like about (some) animals is the kind of selfless love and admiration they can bring. It is proven fact that animals heal the heart - my father-in-law had an aneurism in his brain that almost killed him. It was the head in the lap of his dog Champ that brought him through his darker hours.

They are also good for kids. And if we get an animal, it will be a mid-sized dog. And I KNOW the kids will love it.

I USED to be a cat person. I grew up with them. BUT our cats were always indoor cats, so I didn't have to worry about the feral things wandering the neighbourhood poopin' in people's gardens and peein' on their doorsteps. Now I have neighbour cats I DESPISE. You have to clean up after a dog - but don't mention to the neighbour that her cat shite in your tomatoes. She will say it was the other guy's cat.

Dogs good. Cats okay (but no longer for me). Pets alright, I 'spose.

But Kim - dogs...GOOD! (But CERTAINLY not that picture you have up! Dogs you dress are not dogs, they are dolls!)

Gimped said...

Wow ... you've struck a nerve in me on this one honey! :) Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I find it hard to believe you on this one if you've never really been exposed to it. Have you never been to a zoo or aquarium? Have you ever watched a National Geographic special, or picked up a copy of the magazine in the doc's office? Do your friends/family have pets? And you can't tell me that the ads for animal cruely and adoption don't bring a tear to your eye ... If they don't then you my friend are a robot :) A Friends episode just came to mind ... :)

I am TOTALLY an animal person, but I do know what's appropriate to have as a pet (I totally hear you on the reptile comment) and understand the responsibilities behind having one. They change your life, especially if you have a dog. You can't just take off after work and chill out with your friends all night. Someone has to be home to take the dog for a walk and make sure it's fed. People who think their pets won't have a significant impact on their lives are kidding themselves ... and should not be pet owners.

I will just have to bring in my puppy. THEN we'll see what you have to say :)

Kimberly Bennett said...

Dear Gimped,

If you read my article you would see that I DO NOT subscribe to animal cruelty. I find it disgusting that anyone would be cruel to any living thing that is defenseless (in fact there are many animal-lovers who see meat eating as cruelty toward animals, putting meat-eating animal lovers into quite a predicament). However, I do have a problem with people who have extreme concern for animals and very little for the suffering of mankind (i.e. violation of human rights, inequality, etc.)- and trust me, I have met many animal-lovers who fit into that category.

In addition, I have been to the zoo, I do not have very many friends or relatives with pets (my relatives are mostly of West Indian decent and do not take to pets the same way North Americans do). While I appreciate the fact that some have a fascination with animals, I think it should be respected that some of us do not.

BTW, never ever bring your puppy to work. Totally inappropriate. The last place I worked somebody did that and it did NOT go over well for her. Thanks for commenting, though!