Friday, April 24, 2009

Harper Shames Canada Once Again!!!!

Our Prime Minister is apparently on a rampage to prove how big a fool he truly is. Today the Canadian Supreme Court ruled that Stephen Harper should pressure the US government to have Guantanamo detainee, Omar Khadr returned to Canada. Iggy and perpetual deer-in-headlight looking Gilles Duceppe have written letters to both Barack Obama and Stephen Harper urging them to bring Khadr back to Canada. Khadr was accused of throwing a hand grenade and killing a US soldier in Afghanistan in 2002. Khadr has yet to be prosecuted for this crime. He was 15 years old at the time.

Now, whether or not one thinks Khadr is terrorist is irrelevant to the argument. Omar was a child at the time of his arrest and come to think of it there are a lot of child soldiers around the world who could be placed in the same boat as Mr. Khadr. Would we prosecute them as war criminals and detain them for years on end without charge? Probably not, but I digress... The fact is Stephen Harper has a responsibility to bring Canadian citizen back to Canada to face the justice our soil. Why would he appeal the decision made by the Canadian Supreme Court? What does he have to gain from delaying what is clearly inevitable?

I hope every Canadian citizen reading this realizes how embarassing Mr. Harper is as a head of state for this country. For the first time in my lifetime I have felt ashamed to be a Canadian. I've never considered this country a utopia, but I know that I am most fortunate to live here. The twice-elected Harper government has made me question Canadian values and the thinking of many of its citizens. I hope people realize that our current Prime Minister cares very little about Canada's image as well as what it used to represent. Yes, folks-- Harper only cares about himself and his political career and is willing to sacrifice his own country's image for his personal gain. Remember that the next time you enter an election booth.

2 comments:

Gimped said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gimped said...

People need to start voting more "effectively" and not just voting cuz they've always voted that way. Just cuz you voted Conservative in the last election doesn't mean you should vote that way again. Leaders change, and that change can affect the entire party. I don't think I've voted for the same party twice in a row. I look at the issues on the table, weigh my options, and make the best decision I can, even if that results in me voting for some weird independent party.