Thursday, April 23, 2009

Pet Peeve #3: Ostentatious Weddings

Last week a friend of mine sent me some of the most wretched photos I have ever seen. The photos were of a wedding that took place in England between a 17 year old girl and an 18 year old boy. I am not a fan of the whole teenage wedding fad, but this was not the most disturbing thing about the photo. This young lady, who I'm assuming is mentally disturbed, was wearing a crop-top-mini-skirt-crystal-bejeweled wedding gown that was so tacky, I was considering the possibility of turning her in for crimes against humanity. The article accompanying the photo stated that her father spent nearly $200,000 on his daughter's over the top wedding. This is when I felt the hot bile begin to creep into my throat.

I think weddings should be a beautiful and personal affair. I will not dictate to people what they should wear or exactly how much they should spend. However, $200,000 for a wedding between two lower middle class teenagers is NOT sane. This bride's father apparently paves driveways for a living and the family lives in a trailer. Spending this kind of money on one day is just plain disgusting and I will even go as far as to say that irresponsible behaviour like this is what contributed to the global financial crisis.

When I attend large grandiose weddings I never sit and think, "Wow! Look at all the money they spent! This couple is gonna live happily ever after!". My usually thoughts are, "They spent all this money and I didn't even get a full plate of food! What a bunch of twits!" A good wedding is measured on how much fun the invitees have-- the atmosphere, friendship, the music, the jokes-- not how much money your doled out for your craptacular bouquet. Why go into debt for one day that most people will either criticize or forget? Spend your money wisely and make it a day no one will ever forget... for a good reason!

No comments: